Couples counseling in nyc, couples communication, co-parenting counseling, LGBTQ couples counseling, loss of desire, sex therapy
Couples counseling focuses on the partnership of the couple.
It will be important for you to identify your personal goals as well as the shared goals of the partnership as a first step in beginning couples therapy.
- Do you mind-read with your partner?
- Do you choose to omit information when talking with them because you believe you already know exactly what they will say?
- Do you believe your partner will never change?
- Do you doubt your own ability to change?
- Do you long for more connection with your partner?
- Do you desire being touched in a certain way but feel afraid to communicate that to your partner?
- Have you stopped having sex with your partner and feel lost as to how to start again?
- How is your ‘friendship’ with your partner?
- Are you and your partner struggling with differences in desire?
Couples counseling can be beneficial for those who are looking to improve their relationship, and the definition of ‘improve’ will be different for each couple. Some couples may be looking for tools to help them communicate with one another more effectively. Others may have the desire to improve their sexual connection. Couples counseling can also be helpful when you can’t seem to understand why you are constantly arguing about the same issues and need some help uncovering the dynamics that keep you both engaged in the fight. Taking time to understand each other and your relationship can increase relationship satisfaction, friendship, pleasure and loving feelings toward one another.
Other times couples counseling can be helpful for separating couples who need guidance untangling their hurt feelings from their need to develop a new type of relationship that focuses on co-parenting so that they can protect their children’s best interest.